We regrettably write this afternoon to inform you that next week’s (July 20 - 24) session of D.C. United Camp at Grist Mill Park is being cancelled in an abundance of caution, related to COVID-19.
Last week, a member of our camp headquarters team who had contact with some of our D.C. United on-site staff on Monday (July 13) and Tuesday (July 14) tested positive for COVID-19. We were informed of this positive test on Thursday (July 15), at which point we communicated promptly with staff and campers to provide appropriate notice and we accordingly cancelled yesterday’s camp day.
Through our comprehensive contact tracing, we have determined that during the course of the camp days in question, campers had no direct contact with this staff member. To the best of our understanding, all camp protocol relating to social distancing, masks and sanitation was followed at all times.
Our strict camp safety protocols require coaches and staff members in this situation to meet certain criteria before we will consider authorizing a return to work; this criteria includes documented medical clearance establishing there is no indication of active COVID-19 infection. We have explored numerous options with our team members over the last 48 hours to try to help facilitate prompt medical evaluation and resolution. Unfortunately, due to the current significant delay in receiving testing results (especially for the non-symptomatic like our staff currently), we cannot be certain that the key members of our on-site team will have received documented clearance to return to the field in time for next week’s camp and we will not be able to deliver the high level of camp product you rightfully expect from us.
- Please do not send your camper to camp next week beginning Monday, July 20.
- We will remain vigilant and continue to reinforce all camp protocol related to COVID-19 in order to do our part to reduce the risk of community spread. The health and safety of our campers and staff is always our first priority.
- Because we have closed camp for the week, transfer, credit & refund options are available to you, including future D.C. United Camp weeks. We will follow up with you directly next week with further details.
- In the meantime, D.C. United Camps are powered by Headfirst Summer Camps. If you are interested in learning about other available camp options for your child(ren) this coming week in NW DC, Bethesda, Potomac and Oakton, please reply to this note and we will be in touch promptly to discuss them with you. We recognize that this cancellation is an inconvenience and disappointment and would be happy to present some fun and alternative program offerings.
- In addition to future D.C. United Camp weeks, your credit for this cancelled session of D.C. United Camps is applicable towards Headfirst Summer Camps programming.
As always, please contact our Customer Experience team with any questions or concerns at (202) 313-7386.
We apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation will cause and regret that we will not be able to deliver a week of D.C. United fun and development to your camper. We appreciate your patience and understanding and look forward to seeing you again soon.
The D.C. United Summer Camps Team