Serving the Mount Vernon, Fort Hunt, Lorton and South County communities since 1990.

Gunston Travel Soccer - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. At what age may you join a travel team?

A. Travel begins at the u9 age. For the 2019-2020 season it will start with those born in 2011 and older. There are some exceptions to the rule allowing younger players to participate at the discretion of the Director of Coaching.

Q. Can you participate in other sports if you play travel soccer?

A. Yes you can. At time it can be a challenge but it is possible to participate in multiple sports

Q. How long is the travel season?

A. The travel season is approximately 10 months long. It generally begins in Mid-August and concludes by Mid-June

Q. I was my child's coach in recreation. Is it possible for me to coach at the travel level?

A. If you are interested in continuing to coach at the travel level please contact the Director of Coaching to discuss further.

Q. Is over night travel required in the travel soccer program?

A. We do try to avoid over night travel when possible but depending on age group and level of play sometimes over night stays make the most sense logistically.

Q. Who is responisble for the costs associated with over night stays?

A. Individual families are responsible for their overnight travel, although a team manager generally assists in reserving a block of rooms.

Q. How much travel is generally involved with the travel program?

A. In most cases away matches are thirty minutes to an hour away. This can vary from team to team and league to league based on the level of competition. There are only 4-5 away games in the fall and 4-5 in the spring. The remaining 4-5 games each season will be at one of our home fields, Grist Mill Park, Mount Vernon HS, Bryant and Carl Sandburg MS.

Q. Can I play on both a recreation team and a travel team?

A. Yes for one season, after that you will need to choose between recreation or travel. The exception would be if your recreation team participates in SFL and in that case there are very specific rules to crossover participation.

Q. What credentials do the travel coaches have?

A. Most of our professional coaches have at least a USSF E license or equivalent. 

Q. How much does it cost to participate in travel soccer?

A. The fee for travel soccer is set in May each year. For 2018-2019 the fee was $1595 and was payable via a lump sum or in multiple payments.

Q. Are there any other expenses in addition to the player fee?

A. Gunston's player fee is all inclusive of most items but does not cover things like summer camps, speciality clinics, etc. The player fee also does not cover uniform costs which are typically about $130 for required items.




Contact Us

Mailing Address
Gunston Soccer Club
PMB 610
8647 Richmond Highway
Alexandria, Virginia 22309
For Travel Inquiries
please contact David Zatt

For Recreation Inquiries
please contact Ruben Bolognesi